What is the most realistic way to use differentiation in my classroom?

Hello everyone!

I have a question about differentiation. I always try to vary my lessons to hit different levels of engagement. I try to create activities that can receive an A-E response. I always feel however, that I could be doing differentiation more effectively. At University, I was burned slightly from a teacher that told us we had to create a lesson plan for every child, every lesson… What are other people’s realistic ways to differentiate their content?

Hey there Auliciems,

This a really pressing questions for many teachers. ‘Old-school’ approaches to teaching of having a golden example as the answer and simply failing every student that didn’t reach it, isn’t cutting it now. Schools are now much more tuned in to differentiation, and how it can support their students. There has been, and still are, some extreme approaches on either side of the equation, but as education settles on a unified approach to supporting students of different abilities, there’s a lot you can do to improve your pedagogy.

At PRAC-E Symposium II, our panel of teaching experts detailed a realistic way to use differentiation in your classroom, that won’t cause you staying up all night creating lesson plans, but will also support your students effectively.

Watch the video, and listen to the podcast below for their answers.

Summary

• You are a part of a team. The experienced teachers will have knowledge the students and what approaches work for them.
  • Some schools have highly formalised approaches to differentiation, others don’t.
  • You can’t differentiate, if you don’t know the students. Get to know them, and leverage the experience of your colleagues.
  • You don’t need to reinvent the wheel here. Borrow resources and talk to your fellow teachers.