My favourite education quotes

I’ve been collecting these for years! Enjoy

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”, Mahatma Gandhi

“I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.”, Mark Twain

“You can never be overdressed or overeducated.”, Oscar Wilde

“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”, Nelson Mandela

“Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.”, Robert Frost

“Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.”, Walter Cronkite

“Education: the path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty.”, Mark Twain

“Intelligence plus character-that is the goal of true education.”, Martin Luther King Jr.

“Children must be taught how to think, not what to think.”, Margaret Mead

“The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.”, C.S. Lewis

“I am not a teacher, but an awakener.”, Robert Frost

“Ideally, what should be said to every child, repeatedly, throughout his or her school life is something like this: 'You are in the process of being indoctrinated. We have not yet evolved a system of education that is not a system of indoctrination. We are sorry, but it is the best we can do. What you are being taught here is an amalgam of current prejudice and the choices of this particular culture. The slightest look at history will show how impermanent these must be. You are being taught by people who have been able to accommodate themselves to a regime of thought laid down by their predecessors. It is a self-perpetuating system. Those of you who are more robust and individual than others will be encouraged to leave and find ways of educating yourself — educating your own judgements. Those that stay must remember, always, and all the time, that they are being moulded and patterned to fit into the narrow and particular needs of this particular society.”, Doris Lessing, The Golden Notebook

“[Kids] don’t remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.”, Jim Henson

“Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all.”, Aristotle

“Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.”, C.S. Lewis

“Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it takes in.”, Leonardo da Vinci

2 Likes

There’s more:

“A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination. But when you add to that a literate tongue or pen, then you have something very special.”, Nelson Mandela

“The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled.”, Plutarch

“Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.”, G.K. Chesterton

“Prejudices, it is well known, are most difficult to eradicate from the heart whose soil has never been loosened or fertilised by education: they grow there, firm as weeds among stones.”, Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

“You know, sometimes kids get bad grades in school because the class moves too slow for them. Einstein got D’s in school. Well guess what, I get F’s!!!”, Bill Watterson

“Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.”, Malcolm X

“Ignoring isn’t the same as ignorance, you have to work at it.”, Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale

“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.”, Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

“The whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter, which just weeds out people who are too independent, and who think for themselves, and who don’t know how to be submissive, and so on – because they’re dysfunctional to the institutions.”, Noam Chomsky

“In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn.”, Phil Collins

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”, Henry Ford

“He who opens a school door, closes a prison.”, Victor Hugo

“I think the big mistake in schools is trying to teach children anything, and by using fear as the basic motivation. Fear of getting failing grades, fear of not staying with your class, etc. Interest can produce learning on a scale compared to fear as a nuclear explosion to a firecracker.”, Stanley Kubrick

“Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it.”, Albert Einstein

“Education either functions as an instrument which is used to facilitate integration of the younger generation into the logic of the present system and bring about conformity or it becomes the practice of freedom, the means by which men and women deal critically and creatively with reality and discover how to participate in the transformation of their world.”, Paulo Freire, Pedagogy of the Oppressed

“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”, William Arthur Ward

“Wisdom cannot be imparted. Wisdom that a wise man attempts to impart always sounds like foolishness to someone else … Knowledge can be communicated, but not wisdom. One can find it, live it, do wonders through it, but one cannot communicate and teach it.”, Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

“I never teach my pupils, I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.”, Albert Einstein

“Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition.”, Jacques Barzun

“I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.”, Haim G. Ginott

“Real learning comes about when the competitive spirit has ceased.”, Jiddu Krishnamurti

“Bodily exercise, when compulsory, does no harm to the body; but knowledge which is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind.”, Plato, The Republic

“When you want to teach children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly, providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That’s if you want to teach them to think.”, Bertrand Russell

“I’m more interested in arousing enthusiasm in kids than in teaching the facts. The facts may change, but that enthusiasm for exploring the world will remain with them the rest of their lives.”, Seymour Simon

“I’m not a teacher: only a fellow traveler of whom you asked the way. I pointed ahead - ahead of myself as well as you.”, George Bernard Shaw

“In times of change, learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.”, Eric Hoffer

“To conserve a physical resource, you must limit its use. To conserve knowledge, you must increase its use.”, Unknown

“Where my reason, imagination, or interest were not engaged, I would not or I could not learn.”, Winston Churchill

“I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.”, Winston Churchill

“Education is learning what you didn’t even know you didn’t know.”, Daniel J. Boorstin

“Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.”, John Dewey

“The only person who is educated is the one who has learned how to learn and change.”, Carl Rogers

“Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand.”, Chinese Proverb

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”, Gandhi

“Learning is like rowing upstream; not to advance is to drop back.”, Chinese Proverb

“We have to continually be jumping off cliffs and developing our wings on the way down.”, Kurt Vonnegut

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.”, Ralph Waldo Emerson

“One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary raw material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child.”, Carl Gustav Jung

“The secret in education lies in respecting the student.”, Ralph Waldo Emerson

“She who dares to teach must never cease to learn.”, Anon

2 Likes