How to use your activity in TeachConnect as evidence for standard 7.4

Standard 7.4 in the APSTs states that you need to Engage with professional teaching networks and broader communities. Which in other words means being active in some community of teachers, somewhere, to develop your knowledge.

• At the Graduate level this is done in order to Understand the role of external professionals and community representatives in broadening teachers’ professional knowledge and practice

• At the Proficient level this is done to Participate in professional and community networks and forums to broaden knowledge and improve practice.

• At the Highly accomplished level this is done to Demonstrate responsiveness in all communications with parents/carers about their children’s learning and wellbeing.

TeachConnect is a professional learning network (as are the Facebook, Twitter or Insta communities that you might be a part of) and you can use anything that you do in this platform as an example in your evidence.

It’s really easy to do this:

1. Make sure that you’ve participated in some conversation. Asking a question (perhaps about one of the standards) is a great way to kick that off, but weighing in on another question, perhaps improving an answering or sharing your wisdom, is another way.
  2. Click on your profile (your profile pic if you’ve uploaded one, the circle up there in the top right of the screen) and then go to the “activity” tab. You’ll see a list of all of the activities that you’ve taken since you joined TeachConnect.

1. If you have lots of entries you might want to click on “download all” and then work with them as a spreadsheet (note: to do this you might need software like 7zip). The easiest way is just to snip screenshots of the conversations in which these posts occur, save them as images, and then upload them into your portfolio, however you have chosen to present it (e.g., through the QCT’s iTunes portfolio template or through OneNote, etc. Is that a question anybody has, about software options for collating portfolio evidence?)
  2. A typical piece of evidence would look screenshots from a conversation that is about teaching practice or teaching knowledge. You would then be reflecting on how your evidence shows that you have met the standard. So, if I was at the proficient level, I would be showing how the conversation that I’ve included, and my role in it, is indicative of how I have used this network to broaden my professional knowledge and improve my teaching practice.
1 Like

For reference, this is from the QCT guidelines for evidence about addressing APST7.4

Hey Nick!
This looks great. Thanks for the info.
Would it be possible to see an example of this?