Education reviews such as the Gonsky report, call for the advancement of individualised student learning or ‘tailored learning’. For a beginning teacher, this term can sound daunting.
In this #ASKPRACEANYTHING snapshot, a current HOD and senior leader shares his views on individualised student learning. To hear his views, watch the video or listen to the podcast below:
- There are new movements within the education sector to give students more ownership over their learning.
- Opinions are divided over what model it should take. Practicality is of utmost importance.
- At times, labelling students as having particular ‘learning styles’ can pigeonhole their potential abilities. Learning is not set in stone and is very dynamic and fluid.
- Put effort into creating your own learning profiles of your students. Have an understanding of how they learn best.
- Having individual lesson plans for every student could be impractical. However, you should ensure your activities cater to different styles and abilities.
- Do not feel pressure to know the complicated inner workings of your students from day one. You will build that knowledge over time.