Good lesson ideas for a practical job interview?

Hey everyone,

I saw this question from one of my peers in the Beginning Teachers’ Lounge
I thought the TeachConnect community would be able to help! Thanks, everyone:

“I have been asked to teach a Year 9 English class (50’ session), as part of the recruiting process (passed the panel interview). Without knowing the cohort or where they’re at, curriculum & abilities wise, I think a short, creative writing lesson, kinda self/identity/social media themed?
Feeling a bit lost tbh, of course, I want to make the best impression and show a positive impact, get the students engaged etc. Any suggestions super appreciated!”

2 Likes

Hey RKid,

Practical job interviews are certainly becoming more popular in schools, so I’m not surprised to hear of your peer’s situation. They can actually be a really great opportunity to show what you’re good at as a teacher, instead of just talking about it in an interview.

PRAC-E would offer a few pieces of advice:

• Do not make your lesson too ‘sage on the stage’. The school is most likely looking for what you can bring out of their students. A passive, lecture-style lesson doesn’t show that.
  • Make the lesson fun and engaging. You want the students to engage with what you’re teaching ASAP, so really dense content will actually work against you in this situation.
  • Try and frame your lesson around a common pedagogical framework, e.g. gradual release of responsibility. This will legitimise your approach and give you something to talk about post-lesson.
  • Base the lesson around something creative, e.g. narrative writing techniques. This will make it easier to show that the students’ produced artefacts of their learning.

Best of luck!

1 Like