Compliance learner v engaged learner

Teacher asks students in the class to follow his instructions. Students follow his instructions without any prompt. It seems that students are following what teacher says. Is this an engaged class?
What do you think?
What is the difference between compliance and engagement?

Hi Reza, I appreciate this thought-proviking question.

For me, if the students are just following instructions then it’s very difficult to know if they are engaged or merely compliant.

I think that’s the beauty of inquiry-based or more active learning, in that a student can’t just follow instructions–and a teacher can easily tell who is just being compliant and who is engaging.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

1 Like

I agree Nick. It is a bit sort of confusion there. It is more compliant than engaged. To be engaged is more than just following simple instructions without thought. That is more compliant. When we say a student is engaged it means more than just following instructions. Students to challenge and ask open questions: What if we doing other way? How this could go wrong? Why this is true? Is there any other way of doing this? In the absence of these deep thinking , I can say it is more compliant. Unfortunately, some teachers could confuse about it.
As you said student-centered learning or active leaning gives more chance to students to engage and think outside the box!.
Engaged Learner.pdf (4.6 MB)